Fickle Financial Headlines Brighten
Published Friday, September 13, 2019 at: 7:00 AM EDT
Retail sales, which drive 70% of U.S. economic growth, rose four-tenths of 1% in August, the U.S. Census Bureau said on Friday morning.
Suddenly headlines changed, growing less grim than they've been lately.
Friday's retail report quelled growing worries reflected in recent headlines in the financial press about the inversion of the yield curve, the 11-month plunge in manufacturing sector activity, the trade-war with China, and a global economic slowdown hurting the U.S. economy.
Friday's report of an increase of 0.4% in total retail sales in August over July was driven by a jump in auto sales.
Total retail sales in August were 4.1% higher than in August 2018. For the three-month period from June through August 2019, retail sales were up 3.7% from the same period a year ago.
The Standard & Poor's 500 dropped fractionally on Friday but was up slightly from last week, closing less than 1% off its all-time record high, set in July.
This article was written by a veteran financial journalist based on data compiled and analyzed by independent economist, Fritz Meyer. While these are sources we believe to be reliable, the information is not intended to be used as financial or tax advice without consulting a professional about your personal situation. Tax laws are subject to change. Indices are unmanaged and not available for direct investment. Investments with higher return potential carry greater risk for loss. No one can predict the future of the stock market or any investment, and past performance is never a guarantee of your future results.
- Stocks Closed At A Record High; What's Expected For The Rest of 2021?
- Jobs Situation Report Pushes Stocks A Fraction From All Time High
- Inflation Rate Doubled In Past Two Months
- Fed Signals It's Thinking About Starting To Talk About Tightening
- Expect Inflation To Make Investors Nervous Through 2021
- Stocks Closed At A Record, Ignoring A Bad Jobs Report
- Stocks Soared 5.2% In April; Now, For The Good News
- A Window Of Opportunity Is About To Close
- Retail Sales, Housing Starts, And Stocks Rocket Higher
- The Fed Is Not Braking The Boom Anytime Soon
- A Black Swan Event And Higher Taxes Persist As Financial Risks Amid The Boom
- What You Need To Know Right Now To Manage Your Wealth
- Economic Expectations Improved Almost Overnight
- Investors Beware: The Asset Valuation Paradigm Changed
- Fed Says It Will Stick To Its Plan, As Bond Yield Rises
- Amid Strong Crosscurrents, Stocks Sank 2.5% This Past Week
- A New Rover Landed On Mars And Stocks Closed Lower For The Week
- Ironically, Amazon Profits By Perpetuating Stock Bubble Myth
- Stocks Closed At A New Record High: Can The Party Last?
- Don’t Fall For It
- Housing Boomed Again In December
- The Bad And Good Financial News This Week
- Stocks Set New High Closing Price Amid Turbulence
- Stocks Gained +16% in 2020; Wall Street Expects +7.6% In 2021